US state and municipal governments plan massive austerity to meet COVID-19 budget shortfalls
8 May 2020
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is proposing a $370 million reduction with hiring freezes and layoffs of part-time and temporary employees.
- Dayton, Ohio furloughed roughly a quarter of municipal employees, and announced that more furloughs are expected in the future.
- Detroit, Michigan cut $348 million in a recently passed budget that primarily slashed the funding for parks and recreational activities.
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin has announced plans to furlough 260 employees and cut hours for another 500.
- Houston, Texas has announced the possibility of furloughing all employees, except those working for the police and fire departments, to overcome a $200 million budget deficit.