House Democrats are investigating Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao over reports she nixed elaborate trip to China after ethics officials complained she wanted family members in the shipping business to sit in on key meetings
- House Democrats are investigating whether Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao used her official position to benefit a family business
- Chao's father and sisters own the Foremost Group, which ships goods to China
- House Democrats want all communications and documents between the Department of Transportation and the company
- The Democrats' letter to Chao cites a June New York Times report on a trip she cancelled to China after officials raised ethics concerns
- A Transportation Department spokesperson told DailyMail.com that it's an 'attempt to undermine' Chao's 'long career of public service'
- Chao's husband is Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who has been a vital ally of President Trump's