September 4, 2011 | 12:11 pm
721 Seven people were in jail in Santa Ana on Sunday in connection with a crime spree that included the attempted murder of two men, a carjacking and a car crash following a police chase.
Edgar Bustos, 19, Francisco Castillo, 23, Andrew Chavez, 21, Lorenzo Flores, 23, Javier Galvin, 18, Yasmine Ramos, 19, and a 17 year-old juvenile were booked on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder, attempted murder, carjacking, robbery and evading police.
All of the suspects were believed to be gang members working together, Santa Ana police Cmdr. Steve Colon said.
The events began Thursday about 10:30 p.m. when a passenger in a blue Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck opened fire and wounded two young men riding bicycles in the 300 block of Hathaway Street. Both victims, whose names were not released, were struck in the leg and received non-life-threatening injuries, Colon said.
At about 1:30 a.m Friday, several of the suspects allegedly pulled a gun on a 16-year-old boy at a Chevron station at Broadway and Edinger avenues and stole his car. The victim was not hurt.
Later that morning, at about 9 a.m., police observed a suspicious vehicle near Bristol Street and Borchard Avenue. After making eye contact, the driver fled and led police on a 6-minute pursuit before crashing into two cars at First and Fairview streets. No one was injured.
Police arrested Bustos, Ramos and Flores and determined the vehicle had been stolen. An investigation led to the arrest of the other suspects, Colon said.